IMPORTANT SPECIAL AGRICULTURAL HOMESTEAD NOTICE
This will affect the amount of property tax you will pay in 2021.
The following situations may qualify for special agricultural homestead status:
- Property owners who do not live on their farm but actively farm their land or who have a spouse, parent, child, grandchild, or sibling who actively farms their land may qualify.
- Property held by a trustee under a trust and farmed by the grantor, the spouse of the grantor, the child, grandchild, or sibling of the grantor or grantor's spouse who do not live on the farm may qualify.
- Property owned or leased by a qualified entity and farmed by a member of the entity who does not live on the farm may qualify.
The property owner must be a Minnesota resident, and the property must be at least 40 acres. The property would have had to been farmed by the qualified person during the 2020 crop year to be eligible for homestead status for the 2021 property taxes.
If you do not currently receive the special agricultural homestead status and believe that you may qualify, please contact the Freeborn County Assessor's Office for additional requirements and information.
FREEBORN COUNTY ASSESSOR'S OFFICE
Also staff is currently working in the office and can be seen by appointment only. See the Freeborn county homepage to set up an appointment. The appraisal staff has begun updating photos in the City of Albert Lea and township quintile areas for the 2021 assessment. These areas are highlighted on the map below. In an effort to continue social distancing and have minimal face to face contact with the public, we will NOT be knocking on doors or leaving door hangers. Appraisers will be wearing identification badges. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns.
If you would like to update your parcel information online please click here.
We have been directed to continue to limit face to face contact. Appointments can be made to review properties with current MDH guidelines followed. If you have a question or concern please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Otherwise leave us a voicemail at 507-377-5176. Your patience is appreciated and we will be as responsive as possible during this time.
Freeborn County is set up under a "true county assessor" system which means all property assessments are conducted by the County. The County Assessor’s Office is responsible for the valuation and classification of all property within the county for property tax purposes as provided by state law and regulation.
For general information on property taxes, check out the fact sheets provided by the Minnesota Department of Revenue.
NOTICE OF REASSESSMENTS
The Freeborn County Assessor’s Office will be performing reassessments of property for the 2021 assessment for property taxes payable in 2022 in the following jurisdictions:
- City of Albert Lea Residential - See Map of Areas Below
- Albert Lea Township
- Geneva Township
- Hayward Township
- London Township
- Newry Township
- Oakland Township
- Maple Island
- City of Glenville
Appraiser’s will be visiting each property that is improved with structures to update photos and review the property. The appraiser will leave a door hanger notifying that they were at the property, and may request the owner to contact them to verify information and/or possibly to set up an appointment to view the interior of the dwelling or other structures.
- 2020 FREEBORN COUNTY AG SALES
- 2019 FREEBORN COUNTY AG SALES
- CITY OF ALBERT LEA SALES 11_1_2019 TO 11_1_2020
- ALBERT LEA VACANT LAND SALES 11_1_2019 TO 11_1_2020
- DUPLEX TRIPLEX SALES 11_1_2019 TO 11_1_2020
- RES SALES SMALL CITIES 11_1_2019 TO 11_1_2020
- RES SALES TOWNSHIPS 11_1_2019 TO 11_1_2020
- RURAL RES LAND SALES 01_1_2019 TO 10_1_2020