Human Services

The Freeborn County Department of Human Services is committed to serving those who need assistance to meet basic needs, promoting self-sufficiency, protecting our most vulnerable populations, and preserving families within our communities.

Our office is open to the public from 8:00 – 5:00 Monday through Friday.

The Freeborn County Department of Human Services & Freeborn County Mental Health Center are providers of health care services.  

Appointments are encouraged, as many services are available remotely or in-person. Please call your worker directly or you may call our office at 507-377-5400 if you have questions about your financial, child support, or social services case.

We continue to provide all services through means of telephone and video calls, when appropriate.

Safety and Protection

To make a Child Protection Report, please call 507-377-5400 and ask to speak with Child Protection Intake. 

To make an Adult Protection Report, please call: 1-844-880-1574

Crime Victims Crisis Center: Call 507-377-5460 

Economic Assistance

Keep your health. Keep your insurance. Learn more about renewing your Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare insurance. Visit

Mantenga su seguro medico:

To apply for CASH, FOOD, EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE or CHILD CARE ASSISTANCE, please visit MNbenefits. Please refer to the Financial Assistance Programs page for additional information on applying for public assistance programs.

The Department of Human Services has been encouraging people experiencing hunger to find out if they are eligible for SNAP. Information about SNAP and other hunger resources is collected on the DHS food emergency webpage. Food help is also available through the Minnesota Food HelpLine, 1-888-711-1151 or Freeborn County Department of Human Services continues to accept and process applications during the Federal Public Health Emergency.

To apply for Health Care, please visit: or by calling 855-366-7873.

*If you are someone who is elderly, disabled or in a nursing home, you or someone authorized to act on your behalf should call the office at 507-377-5400 so a health care application can be mailed to you.

Verifications and documents for eligibility purposes can be dropped off in the DROP BOX outside of the Freeborn County Department of Human Services or sent as an email attachment to:

Mental Health Center

Many services provided through the Freeborn County Mental Health Center are still being provided through telehealth.  

While individuals are able to utilize therapy, psychiatric, and chemical health services through telehealth during this time, you should contact your provider or worker if you feel you need a face-to-face appointment.   

To speak with someone in our Mental Health Center, please contact our office at 507-377-5400.

To speak with someone about chemical health services, please contact our office at 507-377-5400. 

Additional Support, Information, and Resources


South Central Warm Line / Crisis Line: 1-877-399-3040

National Alliance for Mental Health: 1-888-626-4435

Peer Support Connection Warmline
Peer-to-peer telephone support that’s safe and supportive

Call or text 844-739-6369 between 5 p.m. and 9 a.m.

The National Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741

CRISIS (988) to talk to professionals who can help.

Minnesota Farm and Rural Helpline: Call 833-600-2670
A service of the Minnesota Department of Agriculture

Mission Statement

The mission of Freeborn County Department of Human Services is to meet basic needs, promote self-sufficiency, assist and protect vulnerable persons and preserve families through the efficient and cost effective delivery of both statutorily required and other services authorized by the Agency Board.

Freeborn County Comprehensive Civil Rights Plan (PDF)

MFIP Biennial Service Agreement 2024-2025 (PDF)

Public comment and feedback on 2024-2025 County and Tribal Nation MFIP Biennial Service Agreement should be sent to:

Suzi Nerison, Director

Freeborn County Department of Human Services

203 West Clark Street, PO Box 1246

Albert Lea, MN 56007    

2022 Social Services Block Grant Annual Report (PDF) 


Public comment and feedback on state guidelines for use of SSBG funds should be sent to:

Andrew Richter, Communications Coordinator 

Child Safety and Permanency Division

P.O. Box 64943 St. Paul, MN 55164