How can I get a copy of a police report?

Contact the Freeborn County Law Enforcement - Records Department to obtain a copy.

Can I get legal advice from your office?

No, the Freeborn County Attorney’s Office is prevented by law from answering legal questions or providing legal advice to private citizens.

I am the victim of a crime. How can I "drop the charges"?

Many people incorrectly believe a victim has the power to “press charges” and/or “drop the charges.” All crimes are considered offenses against the State, not solely against the victim. The Freeborn County Attorney's Office prosecutes criminal complaints on behalf of the State of Minnesota. Only the County Attorney or Assistant County Attorney can decide to file or dismiss charges, though the victim’s opinion is important in that decision.

How do I contact my public defender?

Third Judicial District Owatonna Office 135 West Main Street, Suite E Owatonna MN 55060 Phone: 507-455-5887 Fax: 507-455-5891 Counties represented: Dodge, Fillmore, Freeborn, Houston, Mower, Olmsted, Rice, Steele, Wabasha, Waseca, Winona