Military Discharges

Military Discharges 

After an individual separates from military service, they receive a DD 214 (military separation form.) The military service organizations strongly suggest recording the form to ensure easy availability of a certified copy of this document if the original were to become lost or destroyed. Upon recording of Discharge Paper the office will furnish free certified copies to filer.

There is no charge for the recording of the DD 214 forms. If you have lost or misplaced your military separation form and need a certified copy, and you did not record your DD 214 form in our office, you need to contact your local CVSO, Jeff Dahlen, 507.377.5185.

Military Discharge Records became private as of January 2004.

Anyone requesting discharge papers must fill out a "Request for Release of Private Data", which can be obtained at our Veterans Services Office.

For more information, or to request a copy of your DD 214, please contact the local Veteran's Services Officer