Child Abuse/Neglect Reporting

Reporting Abuse/Neglect

Call the Freeborn County Department of Human Services at 507.377.5400 and ask to speak to the intake worker in the Child Protection/Child Welfare unit. If you're calling after hours, dial 507.377.5200 then select Option 5 to be connected to a dispatch intake worker. You can also send a confidential report via fax to 507.377.5505. Messages left after hours or on holidays are not received until the next business day. If you need immediate assistance because you believe the minor child is in danger, dial 9-1-1. A report needs to be made to the county where the abuse/neglect occurred. Be prepared to provide as much information as possible such as:
  • the name and address of the minor child
  • the name and address of the caregiver
  • the name and address of the alleged perpetrator
  • the nature and extent of the suspected abuse/neglect
  • the date and time of the alleged incident
Anybody can make a voluntary report of suspected child abuse/neglect if that person has reason to believe that a child has been maltreated. The requirements for reporting are outlined in the Reporting of Maltreatment of Minors Act.

Mandatory Reporting

A mandated reporter must call immediately but no later than 24 hours after they suspect that maltreatment may have occurred. The mandated reporter must follow up with a written report within 72 hours. A report can be made to the Freeborn County Department of Human Services - Child Protection/Child Welfare unit or to law enforcement.